"Rigs" You Use, Ugrade Advice, Hardware Discussions, Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
    Bernardo Gui would have wanted a word with you, or probably just tried you for heresy.

Happy holidays all the same.
    Well, those rowdy types have been forced by the glare light to behave, at least mostly, since Galileo and Copernicus were vindicated!

We'll all celebrate the new year together, regardless. If your new year starts sometime other than our Jan 1, just party anyway.

In my younger days, if there was no conceivable event, then that was reason enough to celebrate the lack of one!

May everyone "live long and prosper". (You can quote me on that...) that is how I will justify this being in the hardware and upgrade thread. More prosperous = more upgrades and hardware.

Bruce
    Last edited by Agencyman; 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM.
    KGFolders; One giant computing step for mankind!

Comment

Brought it for 1750$ NZD all up about 1.5 months ago

Window 7 x64
      Intel i5 760
      Asus P7P5D-E PRO
      Gigabyte 6870
      Antec 902
      Corsair HX-650
      Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
      Thermaltake Contac29
      4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 G.skill ram
      [url=http://mobilekiwi.co.nz/]Mobile Kiwi[/url]

i5 760 @ 3.5GHz / Radeon 6870 / 4GB RAM / Spinpoint F3 1TB / Antec 902 / Corsair HX-650

Comment

Originally posted by P1n3apqlExpr3ss View Post
        Intel i5 760
        Gigabyte 6870
        Your GPU card is way above my personal experience, you could try GPU2. But that CPU will do some good with SMP client, as well, maybe better. My older quad runs away from my 5750.

You can get both with FAH Tracker 2, [url]http://fahtracker.com/download.php?link=SiteGuide[/url] and try alternate modes, but you have to wait quite a long while before any combination will settle down to steady PPD rates.

I'll look forward to learning your results, if you test them against each other separately, please report back.

Bruce Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by Agencyman View Post
          Your GPU card is way above my personal experience, you could try GPU2. But that CPU will do some good with SMP client, as well, maybe better. My older quad runs away from my 5750.

You can get both with FAH Tracker 2, [url]http://fahtracker.com/download.php?link=SiteGuide[/url] and try alternate modes, but you have to wait quite a long while before any combination will settle down to steady PPD rates.

I'll look forward to learning your results, if you test them against each other separately, please report back.

Bruce Hinton
          Currently got a 511pt WU going at 760 or 380 iterations/sec, jumps between the two on GPU2, fahmon hasnt given me and PPD information yet.

With FAH tracker, should i pause the original GPU2 client and let the FAH tracker do its own thing? Got the CPU and GPU running on FAH tracker for now

i5 760 @ 3.5GHz / Radeon 6870 / 4GB RAM / Spinpoint F3 1TB / Antec 902 / Corsair HX-650

Comment

Currently got a 511pt WU going at 760 or 380 iterations/sec, jumps between the two on GPU2, fahmon hasnt given me and PPD information yet.

With FAH tracker, should i pause the original GPU2 client and let the FAH tracker do its own thing? Got the CPU and GPU running on FAH tracker for now
            I found it is possible to get two or three going at once. But I lost from my best client, at least, if not much more than I gained by adding others.

Try the CPU client by itself using Tracker, set it to SMP all cores for a speed test.

Mine would slow to nearly a crawl when I added GPU2, though at first FahMon implied they were both cooking at full tilt.

I'm curious about the speed of GPU alone with your card, maybe you should test that after the SMP stabilizes.

My guess is that CPU cycle drain is too much to make AMD/ATI worth it.

NV owners may have better results when running two clients.

Bruce Hinton

Comment

Ok just got SMP running under FAH now

SS:

EDIT/update: Fahmon is telling me SMP 5127 PPD
              Last edited by ArchSerpo; 12-31-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Your gpu will get maybe 6k ppd your CPU should get more than that, reason the gpu sucks is because gpu2 can only use 300/320 shaders out of what's in the card.

Comment

Might be because for half the time ive had it running both GPU and SMP causing slow downs if agencys theory with AMD cards is correct. Ill see if it increases over time,

Comment

Ok just got SMP running under FAH now
                    Watch it for a while, it will report eventually. I'm betting that your i5's SMP will be the best performer for you.

[I wish I could merge these posts, I have done so a while back, but there are often times I cannot get a positive thread I.D. and this is one of them.

We should keep it in "Troubleshooting" from here on out, I suppose for anyone following along, especially if they are changing their setup.]

I am going to try to set my Tracker to use three cores for SMP and hopefully the remaining one will be enough to get full performance with GPU.

How much I will lose with SMP dropping from four to three cores, I don't yet have a clue!

Bruce

BTW, what are you using to determine the iteration/sec.?

Comment

• @agency
                      Just the standard [email protected] client.

FAH is now showing 5109 PPD on SMP, and keep us updated on how the 3 cores + 1 core/gpu thing goes

Comment

• bruce I saw this guid: [url=http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/718219-windows-7-use-winafc-improve-ppd.html][Windows 7] Use WinAFC to improve PPD on ATi Rigs - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net[/url] don't know if you can use any of that...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by outlore View Post
                          bruce I saw this guid: [url=http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/718219-windows-7-use-winafc-improve-ppd.html][Windows 7] Use WinAFC to improve PPD on ATi Rigs - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net[/url] don't know if you can use any of that...
                          Jeez, every time I start to get impressed with myself, I run into the truly bright ones.

DUH...

I now have to decide between the Environmental Variable/WinAFC method, Prifinnity, or just hoping the FAH GPU Tracker will do the same things when I set "3 cores".

This will take days/weeks to learn and understand, perhaps never on that last...

It only hurts when I think!

Bruce Hinton

Comment

• 3-core Folding

I set up to Fold with 3 cores SMP, and immediately dropped from 6400 PPD to 4300 PPD, for that particular project, 6701.

That was even before starting GPU2, which didn't have much downside effect, and brought the total only back up to where it had been with 4 core SMP.

Just to see what happened, I ran two SMPs, pure console and Tracker, on two different clones of proj 6701, and got, what else, 4200 PPD on one and 2200 on the other, must have been a slight priority difference between the two.

I don't know what it's like to have six or eight cores, but for me with only four, console SMP alone is my best shot.

FWIW!
                            Bruce

Comment

• I have a New Year resolution to overclock my cpu up to 3.8 Ghz and try the -bigadv, hoping to take the throne from Darkstar
                              sigpic

Comment

• Your hardware's potential PPD output is much higher than anyone that's currently in the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X