No announcement yet.

"Rigs" You Use, Ugrade Advice, Hardware Discussions, Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad at all for CPU. Pathetic compared to high level GPUs.

That 16 -17k isn't bad at all for a cpu running SMP.

All but one of my CPUs (various gens of core i7) run on 6 threads for SMP, one for the GPU and one spare. The first gen i7 6 threads at 3.75GHz gets only 14k approx.
    An Ivy on 6 threads gets more of course. Anything from 16k to 22k, and that's at 4.5GHz.

It seems 8 to 10 threads is the magic number. I have a first gen i7990x, (cost $1,000 and they still go for about the same - crazy!) ave ppd with that one is over, well over 30k ppd. It was the worlds fastest CPU for quite a while though.

Anyway, I'm rambling. What I want to say is that seeing as the i7 990x has 12 threads (six cores) I run it with 5 cores (10 threads) at 4.35GHz. That little mama has been pulling in around 28k to 40k for about 4 years now! (Average ppd is well over 30k with i7 990x on 10 threads) Damm, just repeated myself. Pah!

BUT: For the past 2, maybe 3 years CPU folding gets such low ppd compared to GPU that it's debatable if it''s even worth it if your machine contains a good GPU.

I mean a 970 can get up to 300k when lucky and a wee OC. My now functioning boostless modded 780ti which runs fine up to 1,188MHz core at 1.2v pulls in 240k.
    Tested for 52 hours. I run it at 1.1GHz 1.87v. Dedicated folder, gets a steady 190 to 210k ppd at that setting. Never crashes.

So, that 780ti is paired with 1st gen i7 960 at 3.75GHz 6 threads and is currently getting 13k ppd. Rather pathetic when compared to the massive ppd that top (or even middle tear) GPU can get. In fact on that machine, the GPU earns about 92% or 93% or the ppd. The darn CPU earns the other 7 or 8%. Sheesh!!

Comment

• I think that big-adv folding ends after jan 31st of 2015. After that date, no more big-adv. Last year I was considering to build a 4P machine, just for the big-adv, luckily I stayed with the GPU's.

BTW, I managed to get my 970's to fold in Ubuntu yesterday, I can't even explain how I managed to do that, but It's working nice, I get only core 17 units, my cards are way cooler. There are a few downsides, I can only overclock the card that has the monitor plugged. The other is at stock clocks. Next week I should receive a dummy dvi adapter, I want to see if the second card thinks that it has a monitor plugged allows me to touch the clocks.

Intel i7 6700K // Corsair H110i GTX
      Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
      2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
      250GB Samsung 850 EVO
      3TB WD Black
      ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
      Cooler Master V850
      Corsair 450D

Comment

• Glad to hear it.

Originally posted by jmrios View Post
        I think that big-adv folding ends after jan 31st of 2015. After that date, no more big-adv. Last year I was considering to build a 4P machine, just for the big-adv, luckily I stayed with the GPU's.

BTW, I managed to get my 970's to fold in Ubuntu yesterday, I can't even explain how I managed to do that, but It's working nice, I get only core 17 units, my cards are way cooler. There are a few downsides, I can only overclock the card that has the monitor plugged. The other is at stock clocks. Next week I should receive a dummy dvi adapter, I want to see if the second card thinks that it has a monitor plugged allows me to touch the clocks.
        Interesting, not that I ever used (as far as I know) SMP big adv. Actually I'f forgotten about it as the old V2 tracker that I used before couldn't manage them after - not sure -2012? Shame it was never updated. Still the best IMO. Now it's only works with cores released before dev. stopped. No 17s or 18s for GPU. Pretty sure I tried it ages ago.

Good job with with the 970! Personally, I always buy factory OCed cards, and will push them further for some games, and the fun of benching, but for FAH usually I leave them at out the box levels.

Older GPUs I have OCed, but only a bit. The cores are very sensitive to even a minor error, as they must be. Not really worth it for [email protected] In addition, running a GPU OCed for gaming is great, but 24/7 for [email protected], could possibly shorten the life, even with NVs overly conservative voltage lock outs.

Still, I'm guessing, but would rather be safe than sorry with expensive GPUs.
        I've burnt out enough already. Including a GTX580 which I tortured. I felt guilty when it died. It did the best it could for me and never complained. In return I pushed and pushed, found a way around voltage limits and killed my favourite card.

Comment

• My rig is in my Sig below tho my net speed is now 60/60. I can max out near every high graphics DX11 including NV Physx game @ 30- 40 FPS or 60 fps for most. When I record its at 30fps anyway. Is only 3 games I have to bump back settings a lil- Batman AA- FarCry3 and Metro Last Light- all could use a performance patch- All other games sold I can max everything. I could maybe update my vid drivers from 314.22 but normally something if not 1 of my recorders might not work right anymore- just because a game says you should does not mean you have too and chit drivers these days might hurt some other game I play.

I sold some of my old hardware to my cousin so he can build 3 systems to run some sort of server bots for PR on apps he makes and sells so he has to spend less time manually answering comments etc- the systems do not need be powerful much at all to do such.

So in a few weeks I will have $700.00. I was thinking at first get a new case and vid card- Corsair 750D and 980- but changed my mind and will get a Asus Z97 Pro Gamer or VII Hero and a 4790K and either a 8 or 16 Gb 1600 mem kit. I will have a lil more money maybe will get 2x WD 500 or 1 tara blacks- dont know maybe get a Samsung 500GB 850 Evo ssd with 5 year warranty and 1 500GB WD black- not sure yet about the drives. I do need a new DVD burner mine has died and gave my back up to my cousin before I realized the one I have is not working anymore- they are 13 to 20 dollars.

* Can save 50 dollars or so getting the Z97 Pro Gamer ver the Hero VII and IMO the pro seems to be a lil more future proof with its sata express connectors ver the hero with only all sata 6GB connectors- lan and sound is same same and the best bios for both.. I would love to have an ROG board but I really do not see a lot of diff and that extra 50 dollars will go a long way for me and being disabled on limited income.

I see no reason to get Bradwell or Skylake- the latter and DDR4 is going to cost a lot and Cannonlake is too far away to worry about. I can live without DX12 and within a year will do the free upgrade from W7 to W10.

So many possibilities- its just my MSI mobo and i5-750 is 5 years old now and is PCIE2.0 and using 1333 memory. I already have a new Corsair GS800 watt psu. I could buy the case I want and 980 and some 1600 mem and OC my i5-750 to a safe 4 gigs on air. I am not so sure I like the 970 or 980 and they are really only using 3.5GB memory and soon AMD will have its new gpus using the stacked memory- no I will never buy anything junk amd- but will be a year before NV can use the new memory on its vid cards- so I might as well wait and W10 will mature in this next year before I upgrade to it anyway.

So for the games I have and like and will buy and play and being I record a lot and being my HDD' are just out of warranty I think my best bet is to wait on my new case so badly needed so I can hide wires- I will always stay with air- am afraid of wet cooling and is more maintenance ver my MX4 Tim and 8 year life. Well I take that back I still have a few months for broadwell to come out and Z97 mobos and maybe the 4790K will drop a lil in price I can get a new mobo cpu mem least 1 wd black tara drive and the case- easy if the case drops a lil in price and can get the wd black for $70.00 or less. I can and wait and see what Nvidia comes out with in a year or so from now.

I think the 4790K with a lil OC @ about 4.4gigs will give me a lil gaming FPS bump and surely be better at recording and or editing my videos- all will be good with my EVGA GTX670FTW+ 4GB- its a monster really- as long as it lasts I will be good for a while yet. Maybe my monitor will last another year or 2- oh ya id love to have the ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" but at nearly $800.00 is no flipping way lol :P

* Right now today including tax and shipping $646.91->

Asus z97 Pro Gamer

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132412]ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com[/url]

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369]Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Refresh Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K - Newegg.com - Newegg.com[/url]

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB 1866 CL8 1.6v 2x8GB kit

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231623]G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C8D-16GTX - Newegg.com[/url]

Not bad- maybe in 2 or 3 months prices a lil better and I can save another 200- 300 dollars and maybe borrow 100 or so and can get my case and maybe the samsung 850 500gb evo and maybe a wd blue 1 tara drive- can bite the bullet and just get 2x wd blue tara drives and plan to replace them in about 2 years. Would love that evo tho- the prices have been about $200 dollar lately for it- would actually prefer the pro with its 10 year warranty but at nearly 400 dollars is out of my grasp.

*Case varieties really suck these days and or many look like some space man crap for a child or have the usb type stuff on top so all dirt etc falls right into it or does not have at least 3x 5.25 drive bays- or does not have filters all the way around or they have lil room behind the mobo to hid wires. Id really like a case with a sata doc am almost tempted to get the nzxt switch 810 but all you can get is white and id have to mod the front for better air flo. Would get the TT core v71 or the T81 but they only have 2x opti drive bays and all the usb junk is on top- but I love they both have 2x 200mm intake fans. I also like the Fractal Design Arc XL. I also like the Nzxt Phantom 820 but has the stupid mess on the side panel to suck extra dirt and dust into the case. Is sad not 1 case is perfect and or all Aluminum and have all features I wish for. Case supplies and or ver are so low now they actually cost more than they did last year- sucks.

Sorry to go on and on- just so much to think about- again I think my best bet is to go with the mobo cpu and memory- really need new HDD- just putting my thoughts to text and something we all can talk about
          Last edited by ezeht; 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• [email protected] servers down again - Probably

I Think the servers at Standford are down again. Most of my clients have not been able to download anything for 12 hours now. Various PCs and setups - all the same issue.

Checked my router, PCs and network cards. I am sure this issue (as has been the case in the past) is a problem at [email protected] server end.

Bruce, Jmrios, Mporcas, anyone, have you had probs too?

Comment

• Originally posted by andyg View Post
              I Think the servers at Standford are down again. Most of my clients have not been able to download anything for 12 hours now. Various PCs and setups - all the same issue.

Checked my router, PCs and network cards. I am sure this issue (as has been the case in the past) is a problem at [email protected] server end.

Bruce, Jmrios, Mporcas, anyone, have you had probs too?
              No problems here, just finished/uploaded a pair of 9201 and downloaded the same type of WU.

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
              250GB Samsung 850 EVO
              3TB WD Black
              ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
              Cooler Master V850
              Corsair 450D

Comment

• I just fired up the Mule again, it is between jobs till tonight.

Got a SMP, and GPU just to test your theory. Soon as they finish I'll just do SMP.

Bruce
                KGFolders; One giant computing step for mankind!

Comment

• Cheers, quick answers.

OK, thanks guys.

I'm still having problems with half of my clients. Too late now, but I'll check it all out tomorrow.

Holy Crap!! This couldn't have come at a worse time, just as I am being rapidly caught by Jose (Jmrios). Unless this sorts itself out, or I find something out of order on my end, then my 1st place is toast!!

But seriously excellent work Jose! I will gladly congratulate you when you overtake me. (You would pass me anyway even if not for this problem....just not quite so soon..)

KitGuru Folders
                  Last edited by andyg; 03-21-2015, 08:18 PM. Reason: typo over

Comment

• Update

As of about 24 hours ago everything has suddenly, mysteriously started working again. I did heaps of trouble shooting, knowing in the back of my mind that really there are no probs with my setups.

Anyway, it started working again, but not due to anything I did, the timeline doesn't match.

Southwind is now having the same or very similar errors.

Checkout the thread, "folding, the big picture," for details, or I should say lack thereof.

Now (unless this problem returns) I am giving Jose a real run & chase before he gets the no. 1 spot!! It's alot of fun! Jose was closing in at around 500000 pts a day for a while, but now that my problems are over it's a really close thing. Loving it!!

Just dreading more server problems at this critical time in our friendly inter-team rivalry.

Check this spot or other thread and look on in awe at the processing power that Jose and myself are pumping out. Ha Ha! Blowing one's own trumpet.

Comment

As of about 24 hours ago everything has suddenly, mysteriously started working again. I did heaps of trouble shooting, knowing in the back of my mind that really there are no probs with my setups.

Anyway, it started working again, but not due to anything I did, the timeline doesn't match.

Southwind is now having the same or very similar errors.

Checkout the thread, "folding, the big picture," for details, or I should say lack thereof.

Now (unless this problem returns) I am giving Jose a real run & chase before he gets the no. 1 spot!! It's alot of fun! Jose was closing in at around 500000 pts a day for a while, but now that my problems are over it's a really close thing. Loving it!!

Just dreading more server problems at this critical time in our friendly inter-team rivalry.

Check this spot or other thread and look on in awe at the processing power that Jose and myself are pumping out. Ha Ha! Blowing one's own trumpet.
                      I think that this mini competition should last a loong time , I'm also with issues with the servers, sometimes I don't get any WU's. I've hit the 600+k avg in PPD, wich is impressive, considering that I only fold with the two 970's, and I'm only pulling 380W from the wall , the nice thing about this: our team is almost at #135 on the team rank!

Good work guys!!!

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                      250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                      3TB WD Black
                      ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                      Cooler Master V850
                      Corsair 450D

Comment

• I agree Jose. It's even more amazing that you are using only 2 970s!!!

I use on and off (currently all to hold you off lol ) 6 GPUs and 6 CPUs. As for wattage, I don't even want to think about it.

As for the server issue. Well we both have potential random handicaps, ha ha. Suppose that's the best way to look at it seeing as the problem is Standfords servers, not our ISPs or setups etc.

Anyway, yeah, it's fun, especially knowing other members check the stats and are in awe of us. Polishes nails.

Comment

• AAAHHH Creeps zzzzzzzz

Another creepy quiet thread. I feel my teeth chattering. Lonely.

Anyone still there, anyone. For the love of GOD ANYONE....AAAHHHHH.

Comment

Another creepy quiet thread. I feel my teeth chattering. Lonely.

Anyone still there, anyone. For the love of GOD ANYONE....AAAHHHHH.
                            I fear the zombies have everyone in hiding, waiting for ammunition replenishments!

Bruce
                            KGFolders; One giant computing step for mankind!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agencyman View Post
                              I fear the zombies have everyone in hiding, waiting for ammunition replenishments!

Bruce
                              Some sort of The Walking Dead situation

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                              250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                              3TB WD Black
                              ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                              Cooler Master V850
                              Corsair 450D

Comment

• My GPU seems to either be showing signs of fatigue or flaws with new drivers. I'm not 100% sure so... I'm not folding. Not to mention it's starting to get warm here. I hope to try and move to a 390x since I run 2 screens right now and would like to run 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X