No announcement yet.

"Rigs" You Use, Ugrade Advice, Hardware Discussions, Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I'm in the final stage of testing my small WC for my i7, I'm using this rad: [url=http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p987_Alphacool-NexXxoS-XT45-Full-Copper-140mm.html]Alphacool - CPU Kühlung und Wasserkühlung sowie PC-Cooling und Silent-PC Artikel von Alphacool - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 140mm 14168[/url] , with this block/pump: [url=http://www.swiftech.com/ApogeeDrive2.aspx]Apogee Drive II - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit[/url] , the temps vs my Noctua NH D14 (with a 2000 rpm fan on it), are very similar, I expected this. I've put the radiator on the right intake of my case, with the Noiseblocker 140mm @ 1700 rpm.

The case looks empty without the big Noctua

[url=http://postimg.org/image/bc6lcc7pp/][/url]

My pc is way more silent now, and I can fit a fat 120mm rad in the rear fan to get better temps, with no impact in the noise. I will run just CPU folding for 24 hs to check the temps, and after that, the 780's will be back

Intel i7 6700K // Corsair H110i GTX
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
    250GB Samsung 850 EVO
    3TB WD Black
    ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
    Cooler Master V850
    Corsair 450D

Comment

• Good stuff Jmrios.

I enlarged your pic, nice indeed. This is a minor detail, but one thing that stood out for some reason was the liquid cooling pipes. Those tubes look darn good quality - better than my corsairs (H100i, H100 & H80) In fact, the tubes on the older H100 look feeble, H100i much better, but yours look great!

Comment

• JM,

I've been wondering since you mentioned this some weeks ago?

Do you have any pics posted of your air filtration system? And do you run with a positive pressure in the case?

Bruce
        KGFolders; One giant computing step for mankind!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agencyman View Post
          JM,

I've been wondering since you mentioned this some weeks ago?

Do you have any pics posted of your air filtration system? And do you run with a positive pressure in the case?

Bruce
          I'm using this filters, it's a custom fit to my case: [url=http://www.demcifilter.com/p0335/HAF-XB-Dust-Filter-Kit.aspx]HAF PC Air Filter Kit[/url]

I think that I have positive pressure:

Intake: 2 x 140mm fans, 90 CFM each, so 180 CFM.
          Exhaust: 1 x 120 mm at the rear, 90 CFM, and 2 x 80mm in the bottom, 30 CFM each. So 90 + 60= 150 CFM.

Keep in mind that the intake fans are with the filter, the radiator, so that 180 CFM should be less because the restriction.

The case is still dustless, the only maintenance required is clean the front filter every week or so.

This is the front filter with a lot of dust:

[url=http://postimg.org/image/8pv9pdx8t/][/url]

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
          250GB Samsung 850 EVO
          3TB WD Black
          ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
          Cooler Master V850
          Corsair 450D

Comment

• I guess we'd have to call that a "really clean, cool installation"???

Thanks, -I'm going to go pressurized soon, I may also reverse the airflow, and use a large easily changed or vacuumed filter mounted out of sight at the back.

I am even experimenting with a rig to use two 210mm fans, I am spoiled by their lower frequency sound levels, and the old SR2's giant Rosewill case, as well as the several Azzas I have built for clients use three or more of the big fans each.

Thanks for your info.

Bruce

Comment

• Filters sure are a must have for intake.

One of my old x58 systems doesn't have filters on all of the intakes and the amount and speed of dust build up is really bad!

Which reminds me, I must get round to putting a filter over the large 210mm intake fan.

I'm fairly sure my R500 case is at least slightly pressurized. It has all the proper filters too and virtually no dust at all gets into the case. As you alluded Jmrios, it is necessary to clean the filters very regularly. A small price to pay for dust free components.

I would hazard a guess and say your system is just slightly pressurized due to the filters. Sounds like a good cooling solution/setup.

If you take 10 CFM off both intakes, that leaves a margin of 10 (160-150) that's a wild guess though.

Comment

• My R4-mini is definitely pressurised, there are 2 x 120mm intakes and only a single exhaust so there's got to be a positive pressure in there! The intakes are filtered and whilst I don't clean them that often, they don't pick up too much dust. Possibly because they are behind the front door which kills the noise too.

I recall my old systems (circa 10years ago) when filters weren't really around (at least not for me! ) and the dust inside was TERRIBLE!

Positive pressure is a good way to reduce noise too, as the air movement pushes the sound in to the case where it dissipates a little. If you only have intake fans and empty vents you should still get around 90% of the cooling effect but it will reduce the noise by 10-20%, all for the sake of switching a fan around! I guess it depends what you're looking for though...

Comment

• New and interesting CPU heat solution

[URL="http://www.extremetech.com/computing/131656-the-fanless-heatsink-silent-dust-immune-and-almost-ready-for-prime-time"]The fanless heatsink: Silent, dust-immune, and almost ready for prime time | ExtremeTech[/URL]

Will it work vertically as well?

Good reading!

B.

About our conversation on filtering...

Beats this for sure, might you think?(from [URL]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/[/URL]):
                  Last edited by Agencyman; 04-17-2014, 03:35 AM.

Comment

• Thanks Mprocas. Genuine sound reduction!

About that pic above, one thing, Yuk!!

@Mporcas - you are right about the sound reduction with positive pressure! I never thought about that before, but seeing as I was in the process of putting my H100i liquid cooler back into my main rig I thought I would experiment a bit with fan directions and listen for sound changes after reading your post.

I was mighty pleased when I found that using the twin rad cooler as intake (most people use it as exhaust although Corsair do recommend intake) instead of exhaust which I have always done gave definite positive pressure, but what was striking was the reduction in sound.

It was really noticeable right away. The rear exhaust is close to the rad intake fans so most or at least half of the warm air goes straight back out. No increase in GPU temps either. Probably that's due to the large 200mm side fan blowing directly onto it and the mobo.

I have two front intake fans as well. So one exhaust (top back - and five intakes!!) I'm glad my case is not airtight otherwise the exhaust fan would be over spinning. Anyway it seems like a really good set up, but not one that I would have normally considered.

Cheers! Have a virtual beer, and rep, Mporcas (if the machine will let me)

edit: sorry, can't rep. aaarrggg
                    Last edited by andyg; 04-20-2014, 07:04 PM. Reason: Rep

Comment

• Glad I could help!

You'll need to be careful of having too many intakes and too few exhausts as you could end up reducing the airflow too much as the increased pressure may reduce the effectiveness of the intakes.

I would be tempted with your system to try swapping the 200mm to exhaust. They tend to be really quiet anyway so it won't make a difference on noise and may take all that nasty hot air from your GPU(s) straight out of the case. I wouldn't worry about them getting enough air, it'll get through to them from a different source. This does of course depend on whether they have coolers that vent themselves out of the back of the case??? I may not work if they do.

Either way, it's worth experimenting, as you've already found! (Mmmm, that beer was nice!)

Comment

• Just a "warning", I had a drop in PPD yesterday, due to not having QRB on my GPU's WU's, this issue is related to the 9201 WU's, I got this WU's using the beta flag, I switched to the advanced flag, and I have QRB again. So If any of you had a sudden drop/or no QRB on GPU WU's, this could be the culprit.

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                        250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                        3TB WD Black
                        ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                        Cooler Master V850
                        Corsair 450D

Comment

• Guys I ask ManuelG from geforce forums why Gk104 still isn't fixed. He pointed me to this forum [url=http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2149461]New beta version of core 17 fixes GK104 - tested and confirmed - EVGA Forums[/url] I'm gonna try it once my WU is done. Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by mporcas View Post
                            Glad I could help!

You'll need to be careful of having too many intakes and too few exhausts as you could end up reducing the airflow too much as the increased pressure may reduce the effectiveness of the intakes.

I would be tempted with your system to try swapping the 200mm to exhaust. They tend to be really quiet anyway so it won't make a difference on noise and may take all that nasty hot air from your GPU(s) straight out of the case. I wouldn't worry about them getting enough air, it'll get through to them from a different source. This does of course depend on whether they have coolers that vent themselves out of the back of the case??? I may not work if they do.

Either way, it's worth experimenting, as you've already found! (Mmmm, that beer was nice!)
                            Cheers for the follow up. I was wondering similar (but all temp reading are excellent).

I have a custom intake fan at the bottom of the case next to the PSU. (Which forms it's own loop and doesn't intake or exhaust anything into the case.)

Anyway, i may remove that fan, or swap it around for a gentle exhaust. It seems current set up is fine though. I guess my case just isn't that airtight!
                            Thanks

Edit: to be clear the loop refers only to my PSU, not the custom fan. (I forgot to mention that fan in previous posts.
                            Last edited by andyg; 04-25-2014, 07:17 PM. Reason: clarfify psu

Comment

• Originally posted by jmrios View Post
                              Just a "warning", I had a drop in PPD yesterday, due to not having QRB on my GPU's WU's, this issue is related to the 9201 WU's, I got this WU's using the beta flag, I switched to the advanced flag, and I have QRB again. So If any of you had a sudden drop/or no QRB on GPU WU's, this could be the culprit.
                              Thanks for the info. I always use advanced now too.

Errmm, a little embarrassed to ask, but I forgot, what is QRB and how do you enable/disable it. Sorry if the answer is staring me in the face.

Comment

• Originally posted by southwind View Post
                                Guys I ask ManuelG from geforce forums why Gk104 still isn't fixed. He pointed me to this forum [url=http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2149461]New beta version of core 17 fixes GK104 - tested and confirmed - EVGA Forums[/url] I'm gonna try it once my WU is done. Cheers!

Interesting and great link. Thanks Southwind.

I wonder how long (or if) this will become mainstream?

Comment

Working...
                                X