Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just WOW

Originally posted by jmrios View Post
    Good news, I've recieved the GTX 780 today, It's a EVGA GTX 780, stock cooler, stock clocks. Very nice piece of hardware, the cooler is even better looking in person than the pictures on the review sites. Now the folding part:
    My card boost to 980Mhz out of the box.
    WU 8900 (core 17): 130k PPD.
    With my GTX 570, I was getting 33k PPD with the same WU.
    Nothing to say except, INCREDIBLE!!

Very nice jmrios!!

Comment

• Andy,

I tried a download of [email protected] on a new build, and it immediately started both clients. When they were both finished, I hoped they would stay out of action till I clicked on "Fold". You can go to "configure>slots", and remove everything but the GPU for you guys with hot AMDs.

Next morning, both running again! Out it goes from Mr. computer.

I wish somebody with the means would donate enough to FAH GPU Tracker to get it updated to handle new #17s; who knows, I could have a killer AMD one day.

I am with you totally on having little use for the new client. Until I get a high end AMD, I will be using the ol' Tracker!

Bruce
      Last edited by Agencyman; 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM.
      KGFolders; One giant computing step for mankind!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agencyman View Post
        Andy,

I tried a download of [email protected] on a new build, and it immediately started both clients. When they were both finished, I hoped they would stay out of action till I clicked on "Fold".

I wish somebody with the means would donate enough to FAH GPU Tracker to get it updated to handle new #17s; who knows, I could have a killer AMD one day.

I am with you totally on having little use for the new client. Until I get a high end AMD, I will be using the ol' Tracker!

Bruce
        Yes, my thoughts exactly! The only reason I've shown any interest in this is that my OC triple fan lovely HD7950 is largely wasted. It's not in the machine I game on as it's my second best card.

The machine in question has an ivy bridge i7 3770k, so I could easily make do with the on chip graphics for what I use this machine for. What a waste!

Must try and get it folding - but I sense frustration and smashed mice

Comment

Andy,

I tried a download of [email protected] on a new build, and it immediately started both clients. When they were both finished, I hoped they would stay out of action till I clicked on "Fold".

Bruce
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	97792

If you select "Finish" the client would finish the current WU, and wait until you select "Fold" again to download/start a WU again. You have to manually select this when you want to fold only one WU.

Intel i7 6700K // Corsair H110i GTX
          Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
          2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
          250GB Samsung 850 EVO
          3TB WD Black
          ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
          Cooler Master V850
          Corsair 450D

Comment

• Clarification for the Paronoid

Originally posted by jmrios View Post
            [ATTACH]467[/ATTACH]

If you select "Finish" the client would finish the current WU, and wait until you select "Fold" again to download/start a WU again. You have to manually select this when you want to fold only one WU.
            Jmrios, sorry to be a pain in the somewhere, but to clarify: it is possible to fold on only one GPU slot with 7xxx AMD and core 17, right?

How easy is this? It's important as who knows what will happen if the Stanford program starts a new SMP (after I do one) with the V2 tracker also running.

I need to be sure I can disable or equivalent anything to do with CPU folding, permanently, in the Stanford prog., and leave V2 tracker happily folding my SMPs.
            Thanks.

Comment

• From post above

I didn't finish a couple of thoughts, here is edited:

Originally posted by Agencyman View Post
              Andy,

I tried a download of [email protected] on a new build, and it immediately started both clients. When they were both finished, (as in "finish" was selected), I hoped they would stay out of action till I clicked on "Fold". Next morning, after restart, both running again!

You can go to "configure>slots", and remove everything but the GPU for you guys with hot AMDs.

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by andyg View Post
                Jmrios, sorry to be a pain in the somewhere, but to clarify: it is possible to fold on only one GPU slot with 7xxx AMD and core 17, right?

How easy is this? It's important as who knows what will happen if the Stanford program starts a new SMP (after I do one) with the V2 tracker also running.

I need to be sure I can disable or equivalent anything to do with CPU folding, permanently, in the Stanford prog., and leave V2 tracker happily folding my SMPs.
                Thanks.
                I don't know if it is possible to use both at the same time. But you can remove the cpu slot on the stanford client, and leave only the gpu one.
                On the client, click on "Configure", enter the "Slots" tab, you should see something like this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Slots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	97793

Select the cpu slot, and click remove. Now you only have the gpu slot on the Stanford client.

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                3TB WD Black
                ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                Cooler Master V850
                Corsair 450D

Comment

• We need some noobs; to help them get started!

Ha!

I spent way too much time on line then, but when we had all the new guys starting out, it was kinda' fun and rewarding to help them discover all the stuff before V7.

Comment

• After a couple of days with the 780, I overclocked it a little bit, from 980Mhz to 1032Mhz, the PPD of the card climbed from 130k to 140k.. I hope that my oc is stable, temperature wise, the card is very cool with the stock cooler, and very quiet, my former GTX 680's were loud as a hair dryer

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                    250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                    3TB WD Black
                    ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                    Cooler Master V850
                    Corsair 450D

Comment

• Amazing numbers, I hope somebody can figure out the wattage for a GPU like that.

The SR2 working 24 threads at 3.8GHz on a -bigadv gets between 150K and 210K PPD depending on the WU, but that burns up power at a rate of about 600 Watts. 300W idle!

If I run regular SMPs on it, it delivers anywhere from 95K to 130K. It is somewhat lower in heat output, but I figure still around 500W.

For comparison's sake:
                      My 2700K idles at 110W folds eight threads of SMP good for 25-35KPPD at 215W, goes up to 340W with the GTX560 folding also, for 40-55K.

I'll see if I can get lucky at the [email protected] forums on the PPD v. wattage for the top AMDs.

In any case this is good news for anyone looking at a GPU upgrade.

And mainly, good news from you jmr, great choice and great points production!

Bruce

Comment

Amazing numbers, I hope somebody can figure out the wattage for a GPU like that.

The SR2 working 24 threads at 3.8GHz on a -bigadv gets between 150K and 210K PPD depending on the WU, but that burns up power at a rate of about 600 Watts. 300W idle!

If I run regular SMPs on it, it delivers anywhere from 95K to 130K. It is somewhat lower in heat output, but I figure still around 500W.

For comparison's sake:
                        My 2700K idles at 110W folds eight threads of SMP good for 25-35KPPD at 215W, goes up to 340W with the GTX560 folding also, for 40-55K.

I'll see if I can get lucky at the [email protected] forums on the PPD v. wattage for the top AMDs.

In any case this is good news for anyone looking at a GPU upgrade.

And mainly, good news from you jmr, great choice and great points production!

Bruce
                        I don't have a way to measure the power.. I'm also interested in that kind of data..
                        But according a review site, the maximun power consumption of my previous GTX 570 was 317W, on the same site, the maximun power consumption of the GTX 780 is 268W.. And I'm getting 3x PPD with less power usage
                        Here's the image:

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                        250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                        3TB WD Black
                        ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                        Cooler Master V850
                        Corsair 450D

Comment

• A quick question for you all, are you comparing the (startlingly!) high AMD GPU PPD with the NV PPD from the older core 16? Or are we comparing to core 17 PPD??

jmrios - do I remember correctly that you've got a GTX7x0 as well as a HD79x0?? Are they both running core 17??

I accept that the new AMD's are ahead of NV for GPU now but I wanted to be sure we're comparing apples with apples and not pears, so to speak.

Ta!
                          Martin

Comment

• Update - Sorry, my mistake, Southwind's got the HD7970 and JMR's got the GT780!

It seems though that the power consumption is almost identical but the PPD isn't! The PPD for the AMD is about 90K and for the NV it's 130K. Perhaps AMD don't have the edge...

... but if you look at the cost of the cards, the AMD is only about 60% of the purchase price so on a /PPD ratio, AMD wins, just! PPD/Watt though, and NV have it, but once again, only by a small margin!

Note - All figures above are approx and dependant on Google or your claimed PPD!!
                            Last edited by mporcas; 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• OK, Created a Google Docs Spreadsheet that we can all update to make comparisons.

[URL]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkI3UmhT6FGKdFRVOWFoYnRnczFNSFFGdklyVnNwN Xc&usp=sharing[/URL]

Please add a column you think may be useful, however I don't think it's worth adding a price as these constantly change!

Perhaps if it is decided it's useful enough a permalink can be created on the home page of the forum??

M

Comment

• Originally posted by mporcas View Post
                                OK, Created a Google Docs Spreadsheet that we can all update to make comparisons.

[URL]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkI3UmhT6FGKdFRVOWFoYnRnczFNSFFGdklyVnNwN Xc&usp=sharing[/URL]

Please add a column you think may be useful, however I don't think it's worth adding a price as these constantly change!

Perhaps if it is decided it's useful enough a permalink can be created on the home page of the forum??

M
                                I've added a WU column, because PPD changes with WU type.

2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
                                250GB Samsung 850 EVO
                                3TB WD Black
                                ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC
                                Cooler Master V850
                                Corsair 450D

Comment

Working...
                                X